Friday, March 6, 2009

Insensitive

At least three times this week I have said stupid things. I just go on and on in my stories, and then when I see people’s reactions, I immediately make the connection that I hit a touchy subject. The other day I was talking about how much I love my dad and what we used to do together when I was a kid. Then one of my friends left abruptly, and I realized that I totally hit a bad subject. I was looking at him the entire time, too. He has a pretty bad relationship with his dad. They don’t get along so well. I felt horrible. I think I might have really hurt his feelings. He left the group for a minute.

O my gosh, when I realized how sensitive that topic might be, I felt horrible.

Is that weird?

Another time, I just started talking about one of my friends’ ex-boyfriends and all that he’s been up to recently—mostly with girls. When I realized that she was his ex-girlfriend I immediately felt so bad. I just wasted a good five minutes on offending my friend. I just forgot.

I’m a scatterbrain.

I’m insensitive.

Jerk? I know I’m a jerk. This is truth. Most of the time when I say mean things, I just say it to joke around. Sometimes, though, it’s not so jokingly and it’s sometimes personally offensive.

Some people would do anything to be funny. I don’t want to be one of those people.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, you are NOT one of those people. Not having been in any of those settings, it is hard to comment on the delivery, but you cannot be responsible for other people's reactions. There is no possible way to know what is going on in the minds of all around us. I am sure you wouldn't deliberately hurt anyone.

    Thanks for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was actually paranoid. I found out the truth.

    ReplyDelete